Pages

Friday 8 February 2013

Fruit Jam


It's the first week back at school for my kids after the long summer holidays so I have been trying to get back into the routine of preparing lunch boxes for them.

I thought it might be nice to include a treat for my little ones and had made pancakes the day before which is always a favourite so I wanted to include one in their lunch box.  I thought putting some jam on it would be especially nice but realised at about 9pm that I'd just run out of jam.  

Seeing as we had some fruit that had probably past their prime and were starting to become a little 'squooshy' as my kids would say, I thought it might be a great chance to use these up as I really don't like wasting food.  The good part about this recipe is that you can pretty much substitute whatever fruit you have that you think would taste good as jam!

You will need:

Zest of 1/2 lemon (I cut it off with a knife and blitzed it in the TM)
Approximately 350g fruit roughly chopped (I used apricots, plums and nectarines) - make sure you remove the stones
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Juice of half a lemon
180g sugar

Preparation:

Once you've blitzed your lemon zest, add the fruit, cinnamon and lemon juice and mix in TM for 10 seconds on speed 9.



Here's my fruit added to the lemon zest

Add the sugar and mix again for 10 seconds on speed 9.

Heat for 35 minutes at 100 degrees Celsius on speed 2.

I then continued to heat for another 4 minutes on Varoma temperature on speed 2.  To ensure the setting point is reached, carefully tip the jam towards teh top of the TM bowl and you will notice it beginning to 'gel'.

It is best to store in a sterilised glass jar that is stored upside down to form an airtight seal.  Store in the fridge.

My little ones absolutely loved this and it was a great treat for the lunch box!








2 comments:

  1. Wow. Amazing recipe and what a good way to use up squooshy fruit! How long do you think it will last in the fridge (if it doesn't get eaten up within the first day?) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your very kind comment! If you store this in the fridge with the jar upside down, the jam forms a seal on the lid and it will keep for a very long time. Yes, in our house, it does seem to disappear pretty quickly though!

    ReplyDelete